Biyernes, Pebrero 1, 2013

The Colors of Sinulog Festival 2013




I was expecting rain to pour down during the recently concluded Sinulog Festival Grand Parade but this year is different from the previous ones. During the last years of celebrating the prestigious event here in Cebu, City, I was one of those people who walked the lively streets of Metro Cebu whose feet were painted with splattered mud from the light rain that the Holy Child had blessed us. Thinking about those wet Sinulog Days creates a feeling of discouragement most of the time in enjoying the festivity. Aside from the scattered light rain, I had to also squirm my way out of the tight crowd just to see my favorite celebrities on their designated floats. I was so ecstatic!
   
 This year, under the cruel heat of the sun, 4 million people populated the routes of the grand parade all over Metro Cebu. I said to myself that was the perfect weather to celebrate in the streets. People all over the Philippines who wanted to witness the event gather together here in Cebu resulting to the great number of spectators this year. We can categorized these 4 million people into groups: the Sr. Sto. Nino devotees, the parade spectators, crowd control group, and lastly the estimated 2000 photographers.


Last year I was just a mere spectator, a minute part of the millions of crowd who flocked the colorful streets of Cebu. I envied some people back then who had all the liberty to clearly see and get an up close look of the parade. How I wished I was early to arrive so I could find a spot perfect for viewing the Sinulog dancers as well as my favorite artists (Kim Chui and Sam Pinto). This year I got lucky! Joining the flock of the amateurs and pros of  photography, I aimed myself with a DSLR camera with telephoto lense to capture the glorious colors and beauty of Sinulog Festival 2013.

Registered as one of the Sinulog Photo Contest contestants, I had the chance to position myself right in front of the dancers. At first I had a hard time shooting because I was undermined by the professional photographers who brought big and small ladders with them for better shooting. I was frustrated at first, but the tigress in me jumped in. I had to have a good shot for myself even just for a short while. Luckily, I got a small child's chair which can be easily folded and positioned myself for better shooting. I found myself trying so hard to become a lady sniper. Call it 'trying hard' but the results of my hard work paid off. The shots were satisfactory and at the same time I enjoyed the experience.

I am looking forward for another round of photo contests, especially festivals as big as Sinulog. And I hope that by each year I join this kind of competition I would become better and better with my craft.

HERE ARE MY SHOTS DURING THE SINULOG GRAND PARADE AS WELL AS DURING THE SINULOG SA KABATAAN:

















 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento